Friday, May 27, 2016

Paint Your Kitchen Countertops - An Easy Upgrade

Paint Your Kitchen Countertops - An Easy Upgrade
Need a fun, quick update that can totally customize the look of the kitchen? Paint your home countertops!

That's right, paint right over your tired and ugly laminate kitchen countertops. It's simple and easy. It just takes some perserverance. This is my 2nd the perfect time to paint my countertops and I have enjoyed the task and especially the outcome.

What you will have to Paint Your Kitchen Countertops

• Primer - Kilz Low Odor

• Paint - The colors will likely be determined by the appearance you want. I used an overall total of 6 colors.

• Glitter

• Sealer - Polyurethane or Acrylic (I'm not convinced that Polyurethane is the foremost option)

• Paint brushes, small paint roller

• Paint Tape

• Plastic grocery sacks

Color Selection

I've always wanted a pink kitchen. When I would be a little girl, my mom experienced a friend (Eloise Else) who were built with a pink kitchen. I thought the pink kitchen was one of the most fascinating thing I'd experienced. I knew then that I required a pink kitchen.

Painting my countertops pink would be the first step to the transformation!

The inspiration for the kitchen at home were 3 flower pots that I bought in Ikea in Kansas City. Based upon these colors, I purchased this paint at Lowes.

In addition towards the 3 colors that I purchased at Lowes, I used 3 other paint colors that I had in your house:

• Blue/Green

• Silver

• Deep Purple

Step 1 - Preparation

Tape other places around your countertops. Don't forget the location around your sink and backsplash! Clean your countertops well and sand down any rough spots about the existing laminate.

Step 2 - Primer

Apply a primer in your countertops. I used Kilz Low Oder. Because my countertops have been previously painted, I place on 2 coats of Kilz. I used a brush but didn't like the outcomes. So, I switched to some small roller to utilize the paint. I liked the roller better - took easier and smoother.

Let the primer dry. I also used a stand fan to assist with drying time.

Step 3 - Paint Your Base Color

Paint your base color. I used my medium shade just for this step. Let the paint dry.

Step 4 - Add Your Colors

This step is the place your countertops stand out! You can work with a picture for inspiration or design something entirely new and different. I went the "new and different" route.

I applied each colour of paint with similar technique of dabbing the countertops which has a plastic grocery bag. I did not employ a sponge as the plastic grocery bag gives the style that I wanted. I applied one color at any given time. You do not need to have to wait for the paint to dry to incorporate another color.

The order of paint application:

1. Lightest pink - Blush Pink

2. Darkest pink - Raspberry Pink

3. Dark color - Plum

4. Random color - Blue/Green

5. Silver

6. Glitter

Step 4 - Seal The Countertops

Allow the paint to dry completely then apply a thin Polyurethane coat. I used a sponge brush to use this step. I tried a brush, even so the sponge brush was simpler to use and was more even. Apply 2 or more coats with drying amount of time in between the steps.

The countertops may be used lightly after drying. However, the countertops won't be fully cured for several days. I didn't put anything for the countertops for two main days after which closely monitored just how much weight I placed about the countertops (the blender, espresso maker, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment